Monday, July 04, 2005

Independence





Happy Birthday America!!!!

I have a bit of history with regards to our Independence Day

Independence Day is the national holiday of the United States of America commemorating the signing of the Declaration of Independence by the Continental Congress on July 4, 1776, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.


Independence Day is celebrated on July 4 because that is the day when the Continental Congress adopted the final draft of the Declaration of Independence. From July 8, 1776, until the next month, the document was read publicly and people celebrated whenever they heard it. The next year, in Philadelphia, bells rang and ships fired guns, candles and firecrackers were lighted. But the War of Independence dragged on until 1783, and in that year, Independence Day was made an official holiday. 1941 Congress declared 4th of July a federal holiday.

The first Independence Day celebration took place the following year - July 4 1777. By the early 1800s the traditions of parades, picnics, and fireworks were established as the way to celebrate America's birthday. And although fireworks have been banned in most places because of their danger, most towns and cities usually have big firework displays for all to see and enjoy.



So there you have it......a bit of history about our countries B-day.

While doing a bit of quick research I found this quote:

"Whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends (life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness), it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government."

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), from the Declaration of Independence


I happen to like this quote very much.......as I feel it exemplifies the document in its entirety.......

well for me it does


I have always been fond of this day as I am very fond of our American history and of our country, regardless of what may be happening at present............

today America will be celebrating her 229th B-Day, so I would like to take this time to wish everyone a very Happy Independence Day!!!

Enjoy the bbq's, fireworks, and parades...........as for me...........I am working today.........this will be the 1st 4th I have worked in 6 yrs......but to tell you true, I celebrated on Friday........

So it’s all-good....

No comments: