Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Loss

So I (of course) have not written about the loss of the Pope nor Terry S. I guess I feel that the 24/7 coverage is enuff and reading another Blog about those certain events is not necessary. So instead of writing about what I know everyone knows I will instead write about what I feel.........

Terry- She deserved to die with more dignity than having her photo splashed about the world....Did anyone stop to consider if she would have wanted her photo in every magazine, Newspaper, and TV show? I think not............The debate about whether or not she should have been allowed to stay connected to the feeding tube is of course a delicate matter. I however, am against such said measures after a certain amount of time. Perhaps it has to do with watching my late mother suffer with MS for 11 yrs........and the current situation with my brother.......my thoughts are if one is injured......and has a chance at returning to a normal life...........meaning a life with substance, where one can enjoy their families and lives....I am all for it.....as at a certain point the need for such interventions will no longer be necessary....Its for the individuals who will never be the same....Who are in constant need of care.........cannot survive without 24/7 assistance that I begin to have issue.

...I am in awe of how far medical science has come, what we can accomplish with regards to illness and treatments......Transplants.......Medications.....Etc...I am very thankful for medical science as without it my brother would not be here today........the issue I have with medical intervention is this.........if one has an episode or an accident......like the one Terry S. had........a stroke I made a mistake here.....she actually had a heart attack due to being Bulimic which thus resulted in her being brain damaged due to having NO oxygen for over 10 minutes....this is when ethics and morals come into play. The knowledge the Doctors had when they first examined her ...that...she was brain damaged to such an extent that she would never be the same..........that she could never live without constant medical attention.......at that moment.....right then and there...... is when one needs to ask.......Was she supposed to of died? Who are we to keep her alive when she is not capable of any coherent thought, and never will be? Who are we to truly know what she would have wanted? When do we stop playing God?

I believe that a law should be put into effect for every citizen with regards to having a living will......It should be a requirement just like having a license or an ID..........everyone should be able to put in writing what they want done in the event something catastrophic happens........this will alleviate any and all court proceedings........and stop draggin out an individuals life for a decade or more.........

Pope-I am not catholic. Although I should be. My family is catholic. German Catholics.......very strict Catholics........my mother told my brother and I to make our own choice..........as she wasn't given the option............I still haven't been baptized...........but I believe in God.......

I believe the Pope lived a very long and fulfilling life.....gave his life to his church and his religion, not to mention God. Pay tribute to Pope John Paul II ...... remember his accomplishments..... Let him rest in piece. Choose a successor........

One who will fulfill the needs of the Church and the people.

No comments: